Merbein is a town just north of Mildura, Victoria, in the Sunraysia region of Australia. At the 2016 census, the town had a population of 1,981. Merbein is 12 kilometres from Mildura, 553 km from Melbourne and 389 km from Adelaide.
The town is known for farming and is part of what is informally called the "fruit bowl" or "food bowl", the growing region roughly made of the Coomealla and Sunraysia irrigation districts fed by the Darling and Murray rivers. Produce farmed in Merbein include grapes, citrus, mushrooms, green beans, asparagus and pistachios.
On the advice and vision of parishioner Edward Joseph Kenny, Inspector of Works with the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission, crown land was purchased and made available to meet the need for a Catholic Church and school in Merbein. Tom McCarthy Senior met with Fr Ryan of Mildura and Dr Foley, Bishop of Ballarat to discuss the building of the Church and school. Following this meeting, Mr McCarthy, along with John Power Senior travelled the Parish by horse and buggy to get donations to start the project. Donations were forthcoming and after a very large donation of 500 pounds by Mr McCarthy, their goal was achievable.
In 1927 a brick building, which was to serve as a church and school for the parishioners, was built. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart School (OLSH) opened on January 31, 1928 staffed by three Sisters of Mercy who travelled daily from Mildura. The school was founded by the Sisters of Mercy to teach and provide educational opportunities to all those in the Merbein Community.
“…educate people and you will provide them with an opportunity for life.” - Catherine McAuley – founder of Sisters of Mercy
In the school’s first year there were 60 children enrolled and another 24 students at times throughout the year. From that time the school continued to cater for the children from the township, as well as those who travelled in from fruit blocks and neighbouring districts.
The original building, catering for three classes, wasn’t added to until 1975, and again in 1979. Since 1991 six major building projects have completed the school. Along with a staff of dedicated and committed lay teachers, the Sisters of Mercy continued their service to OLSH until 1998 when Mr. Des Lowry, the first lay Principal, was announced.
- Des Lowry (The first lay Principal - 1999 to 2013)
- Michael O’Riley (Acting Principal in 2014)
- Chris Brouwers (2015 to 2017)
- Narelle Gallagher (2018 to present)